Pughtown Baptist Church
    Looking Back!!
Home

Services and Activities

Pastor Sam's Bio

Fellowship Group
Schedule


Members' Convenant

Contact Us / Directions



Church History
History (1846 - 56)

History (1856 - 64)

History (1864 - 73)

History (1873 - 75)

History (1876 - 83)

History (1883 - 88)

History (1888 - 1900)

History (1901 - 13)

History (1914 - 24)


 Church Timeline Index (1846 - 1856)
SPECIAL NOTE: In the entries index shown below that are in bold
indicates there is no additional information for that period or
pastor as listed.
   1846 - 1854 Beginnings
1855 - 1856 The Church's Formation

1846 - 1854 Beginnings

The church's early start began with revival meetings in neighborhood school houses. In 1846, Rev. J. V. Allison, pastor of Vincent Baptist Church, began a series of meetings in a little school house on the banks of French Creek, near the post office in Pughtown. He described this place as being "destitute of Baptist preaching" and after he left Vincent church his successor, Rev. A. J. Hires, continued the work until 1851.

In early 1852, Vincent church being without a pastor at that time, Rev. John Duer, pastor of East Nantmeal Baptist Church, began a series of meetings at another school in the neighborhood, baptizing converts into the fellowship of his church in East Nantmeal. The interest grew with each new meeting, making it apparent a larger and more localized place of worship was necessary. William Reagan made a gracious offer, presenting a lot on which to build a local church - an offer which was promptly accepted.

The work of building was commenced in the late summer of 1854. By the following spring the lower room of the two-story stone building, 40 X 60 feet in dimensions, was finished with a capacity to seat 250 people. The vestibule and upper room remained unfinished until 1861. The early cost of building the lecture room amounted to $2200 with $1600 immediately being paid through cash and pledges.

1855 - 1856 The Church's Formation

On December 22, 1855, a meeting was held with a view of organizing a new church, Samuel Bertolett, chairman, and Charles M. Griffith, secretary. A committee of four men was appointed to visit any persons who would like to unite with the new church at Pughtown.



At their January 7, 1856 meeting, the following was reported: Edwin Morris, eleven from East Nantmeal; Samuel Bertolett, six from Vincent; Charles M. Griffith, four from Windsor. Joshua Burgoyne, the fourth member of the committee, reported no definite numbers pledged. Burgoyne should not be thought as lazy, since he was involved with origins of the East Nantmeal Baptist Church.

It was resolved on January 17, 1856 to abstain from the use of intoxicating liquors for sacramental purposes. Samuel Bertolett and David Philips were the first elected deacons at this business meeting along with Charles M. Griffith as secretary.

On January 19, 1856, a council of pastors and delegates from East Nantmeal, Vincent, Windsor, Phoenixville, and Bethesda churches convened and organized an independent Baptist church at Pughtown. A sermon was preached from 1st Peter, chapter 2, verse 9, by Elder W. S. Hall. Two members from Willistown were part of the 23 constituent members, of which ten were males and thirteen females. They are listed as follows: Samuel Bertolett, Catharine Bertolett, William McFarlan, Rebecca McFarlan, Francis Brownback, Pricilla Nyman, Edwin Morris, Jonathan Rooke, David Philips, Joshua Burgoyne, Samuel Weidner, Catharine Morris, Matilda Rooke, Tamson Philips, Margaret Miller, Sarah Guest, Sarah Curell, Charles M. Griffith, Melchi Guest, Martha E. Griffith, Elizabeth M. Guest, Robert and Alice Ann McNeely.

With the current research of the church's history (1980), it was discovered that there was two extra names listed by mistake (originally 25 constituent members had been recorded). This information came from the minutes of original church business meetings. Joshua Burgoyne was the last original member to survive, passing to his rest in 1904.

See next History (1856 - 64)
Updated March 31, 2016.